Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Lazy, Crazy, Days of Summer?

When I was a kid I couldn't wait for summer vacation to come. The last couple weeks of school just dragged by, and it was always warm and nice, so hard to get on the bus and spend a beautiful day INSIDE when summer was so definitely calling my name. But finally, the last day of school was over! I would hop off the bus with a bag full of old papers and junk out of my desk and run to the house, free at last.

It was a great feeling. Sure, there were chores to do; weeding the vegetable garden, house stuff, an occasional trip to the mountains for a load of winter firewood, but mostly my time was MINE. Sleeping late (well, it was pretty hot by 6:30 and hard to sleep with the hop duster plane flying overhead anyway), reading all the books I wanted, riding bikes, playing with my friends...the fun was endless.

And on weekends there were camping trips, horse shows, picnics, great mad fun stuff with my mom and dad. Life was great. It couldn't get any better.

Though there were times when I wanted to go somewhere that my bike wouldn't take me, and no grownup was available to drive. I wished to be older. Then when I was older and could drive there was the "parental permission" thing to get around. Such times when my summer freedom was curtailed, or denied outright, I thought to myself, "just wait until I'm an adult..."

Well TA-DA! It's here! I am an adult in the summer! School's out and the livin' is easy, right? RIGHT? Yes, ma'am, Mrs. Adult, you are free to rock out this summer day after you mop that gross floor, finish that heap o' laundry, hit the grocery store, take Pony Girl to the eye doctor, attend the Vacation Bible School planning meeting (and don't forget the road through town is closed, you'll have to detour..), and for the love of Pete would you TRY to get some exercise before you wear that BATHING SUIT?!

Hey, this summer business looked a lot easier when I didn't have any perspective..

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm.. As they say, ( and i dont know who they are!) The grass is always greener on the other side!

    love Chaitra

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can't wait to grow up, and then when we do, we realize it ain't all it's cracked up to be. :)

    I, too, could never sleep in because of the hop planes...

    ReplyDelete